22 January 2011

Sweet Saturday - Bread Pudding

Do you have bread left over or do you have chickens to feed it too? I keep ours and take it my parents for the chickens. But now I had so much I thought I might use some of it to make a fairly traditional Belgium dish: bread pudding. I made my own variation, the basic version is with bread, milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon and raisins. This is my version:


  • 350 gr of stale bread
  • 3 eggs
  •  0,5 litre milk
  • cherries (bottle of 370ml from the supermarket, drained)
  • 120 gr of dark brown sugar
  • 2 slices of gingerbread
  • some vanilla essence or sugar
  • cinnamon, teaspoon
  • chocolate buttons, handful
Preheat the fan oven to 160°C and tear the bread in smaller bits. Butter a baking tin or glass bowl.
Bring the milk to boil and add the bread. Take from the heat and add sugar, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and stir. Add the diced gingerbread, cherries and stir, add the chocolate buttons at the very last, quick stir and poor into the bowl or tin. bake for 50 minutes.

Enjoy!!


1 comment:

  1. yum yum, bread pudding; my mum makes the best, it's been a long time now since i had any, sniff. also miss her bread and butter pudding..

    ReplyDelete